DIY Colorful Washi Tape Tea Lights

I bought a package of large tea lights this week on a whim. They weren’t expensive, and I have this thing about candles.  On the day of my high school graduation, there was this huge storm, and we lost power all afternoon and evening. My sister and I still lived at my parents’ house at that point. Together we were able to light up the house well enough to open presents and even have some pictures of me doing so. But I digress…

Original Candles before Washi Tapes

I have also been itching to use this adorable washi tape that I ordered a couple weeks ago from Pick Your Plum. (If you haven’t signed up for Pick Your Plum’s daily deals yet, you definitely should.)

Pick Your Plum Washi Tape

Put the two together, and I have these now adorable tea lights to set out on their own without any candle holders. Because let’s be honest – tea lights are not attractive on their own.

Washi Tape Tea Lights Before and After

The washi tape wasn’t quite wide enough for the candle, so I did one wrap around flush against the top ridge and a second wrap around starting wherever the pattern best matched up. I debated cutting off the access but ended up folding it under the bottom instead. Way easier and worked fine. The only one I didn’t wrap around twice was the birds; the pattern doesn’t lend itself to that sort of thing.

Washi Tape Tea Lights Collection

These were really quick and barely use any tape. I think this would be so awesome for birthday parties and other events. I might have even done these at my wedding with matching colors if I had been up on the washi tape phenomena last year.

Now – go make some tea lights pretty!

These Washi Tape Tea Lights have been featured at Sew Can DoLiving Well Spending LessThe Life of Jennifer Dawn, and 30 Minute Crafts.

I link up to the following parties, including Serenity NowShabby NestWhipperberryHomecomingHomestories A to ZFinding Silver PenniesOrganizing Junkie and the Monthly Pinterest Challenge.

DON'T MISS A THING!
Have all the DIY tricks and tips, yummy recipes, fun parties and more delivered right to your inbox! PLUS, YOU WILL RECEIVE EXCLUSIVE CONTENT ONCE A MONTH! !
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared.

Winter Wonderland

Hearty Crock Pot Corn Chowder - The perfect way to stay warm on a cold night! {The Love Nerds}
CROCK POT LOADED POTATO SOUP RECIPE - Make dinner time easier with a hearty, cheesy slow cooker version of this classic soup! | The Love Nerds
Date Night Cuddle Kit - Create a fun date night kit for home with indoor s'mores, a Not-So Newlywed Game to get to know your spouse more (free printable included), and more! {Love at Home Series - The Love Nerds} #YoursandMine #Ad
Tips to Fight the Winter Blues - It can be a long couple months, but here are some go-to ways to make it better! | The Love Nerds
Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup - A deliciously light and fresh soup recipe inspired by Panera's soup recipe. | The Love Nerds
An easy 5 ingredient dinner idea that will make your house smell amazing - French Onion Cube Steaks with Gravy! {The Love Nerds}
Dinner Made Easy! 2 Dinner Ideas the whole family will love with only 10 minutes of prep work, like this Creamy Garlic & Herb Chicken Pot Pie with a Cheddar Biscuit Crust! {The Love Nerds} #Ad #WeekNightHero
Slow Cooker Pot Roast - A savory and hearty crock pot recipe that is perfect for a cold winter night! | The Love Nerds

Popular posts

Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup - Our favorite soup recipe and one of our most popular posts! Easy dinner idea - toss in slow cooker and forget about it! |The Love Nerds
Delicious Glazed Lemon BlueBerry Scones {The Love Nerds} #recipe #scones #breakfast #pastry
How I Use my Erin Condren Life Planner to Organize my Personal Life and my Business! {The Love Nerds} #gettingorganized #familyplanner #businesstips
Baked Three Cheese Ranch Chicken - An immediate favorite for my family! {The Love Nerds} #recipe #chickenrecipe #ranchchicken
How to Make your Own Shaped Word Art for Free along with this free apple print to download
bacon and cream cheese chicken roll 3

Comments

1. Marin Wren says

I saw your picture on Pinterest and said “she got her washi tape on Pick your Plum!!” I got the same bundle – and I got them all because I couldn’t choose! Very cute!

2. Cheryl@SewCanDo says

Love how cute & easy this is. Pinning it as an idea for an upcoming shower I’m hosting. You’ve also been featured at this week’s Craftastic party – stop by & grab a Featured On button. Thanks for linking to the Craftastic Monday party at Sew Can Do!

• thelovenerds says

Thanks, Cheryl! I would love it if you shared a picture it with me of how you used them at the shower. Have a wonderful week!

3. Hannah says

Amazing idea!! Who doesn’t have 100 of these sitting under the kitchen sink!? I know everywhere I have lived we have! I love these, pinning now :-) Thanks for posting.

Hannah ♫
    Sew Lah Tea Dough

• thelovenerds says

Thank you so much for the invitation, Ruth. I just linked up a couple items from this week, including these tea lights. I have also begun following you on BlogLovin’ and Twitter. I would love it if you would connect with me as well. Thanks again for stopping by!

• thelovenerds says

Thank you so much, Jennifer! I just stopped by and linked up. I have also added you on Google+ and BlogLovin – Hope to find your facebook page later tonight as well. I hope you might consider also connecting with me.

• thelovenerds says

Thank you so much, Marti! I just stopped by and linked up. I have also added you on Google+ and BlogLovin – Hope to find your facebook page later tonight as well. I hope you might consider also connecting with me.

4. christy casher says

Hi! I’m visiting from Craft-O-Maniac. I love washi tape!!! For St. Patrick’s Day, I covered 3 tea lights in green tape and glued them together to make a shamrock…added a pipe cleaner for a stem and it was done! Think I’ll try the same thing with four or five tea lights to make a spring flower. You’ve inspired me!

Christy @ Creating a Beautiful Life

• thelovenerds says

That is such a cute idea, Christy! I would love for you to share it with me if you give it a try.

5. Marie says

Those look great! Definitely would be nice for a party. I bought some tea lights on clearance a while back and haven’t even used them yet. I’ll have to bring them out now!

• thelovenerds says

I hope you do take them out and put them to good use. I would love to see pictures of how you use decorate them. I have always had a ton of clearance tea lights stacked in storage because they weren’t as cute as other candles. This was a 60 second project to make them a bit nicer to have on their own.

Trackbacks

1. […] (Above) 5. DIY Washi Tape Tea Lights – Learn how to pimp out your plain tea light candles with washi tape. For a special occasion such as your wedding or engagement party, you can pop your washi tea light candles into classy glass votives. Then again, dressed up in their washi tape, they will also look great without a candle holder! {DIY Tip} Simply paste a strip of washi tape in your wedding colours around the soft metal exterior of the tea light candle. {Featured by: (Left) Trendenser | (Right) The Love Nerds} […]