Imagine coming home after work to this Cheesy Crock Pot Loaded Potato Soup!
If you stop by often, you know that I love my crock pot … slow cooker … whatever you like to call it. If I had to guess, I would say I use it on average once a week throughout the year and would love to create more recipes to up that average even higher. Dinner time is always my busiest time and sometimes my most productive time. Having dinner prepped and ready to go makes it so much easier for us to stay good on eating at home instead of calling Jimmy Johns or the pizza guy to stop on by.
My sister makes a delicious Loaded Baked Potato soup that I love on the stove, but I wanted to give it a try in the crock pot. We loved it! It is very thick and hearty with lots of cheese, because I’m a cheese addict, too.
This is such one of the new soups I am trying this year. Bryan hasn’t always been a big soup person in the past, having tried very few different flavors. He usually orders the French Onion Soup and stops there. I am happy to whip up a batch of my Entirely Made in the Slow Cooker French Onion Soup for him, but hese cold winter months are also a perfect time for him to expand his soup horizons. Last winter I made my Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup and a Crock Pot Corn Chowder, both of which he does love, and I just made a Lemon Chicken Orzo that I will be sharing in the next couple weeks. Do you have any suggestions for other soups I should make him?
- 4 lbs red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 5 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 c half and half
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- Toppings: cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, bacon
- Add potatoes, onion, garlic, pepper, and broth into slow cooker. Cook until potatoes are tender (4-6 hours on low; 3-4 hours on high). You do not want to overcook the potatoes.
- Once tender, use potato masher to slightly break down potatoes as much to your liking. I like chunks of potato. Others like it smoother.
- Add cream cheese. Stir until melted and blended through.
- Add cheddar cheese and half and half. Stir well.
- Taste and add salt to taste.
- Serve and include toppings of choice.
ITEMS HELPFUL FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE:
- Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker With Temperature Probe, 6-Quart
- Hamilton Beach Travel Case & Carrier Insulated Bag
- Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners 2 Pack
GREAT SOUP AND SLOW COOKER COOK BOOKS:
- 50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker
- New England Soup Factory Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes
- Soup & Comfort: A Cookbook of Homemade Recipes to Warm the Soul
- Soup of the Day: 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year
- All-Time Best Soups
- 5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Cookbook: Quick and Easy 5 Ingredient Crock Pot Recipes
- Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes!
- The Meat Lover’s Slow Cooker Cookbook: Hearty, Easy Meals Cooked Low and Slow