Pizza Fans will Love this Healthier Alternative – STUFFED PIZZA CHICKEN ROLLS!
One of the very first recipes I ever shared on this blog was my Bacon and Cream Cheese Chicken Rolls, and it has consistently been one of our most popular posts. I made them not too long ago for dinner for us, and it got me thinking – why have I not made more stuffed chicken roll recipes? They are not complicated and are normally prepped under 20 minutes, making it easy as a weeknight dinner. So here I am with Stuffed Pizza Chicken Rolls!
I think these Pizza Stuffed Chicken definitely jumped to the front of the line for my personal favorite chicken roll recipe! As a pizza addict though, it makes a lot of sense!
I’ve taken some of our favorite pizza toppings – pepperoni, red peppers, mushrooms and red onion – and rolled them inside a thin chicken breast to bake. Plus cheese! We can’t forget the cheese! It’s juicy and flavorful with a delicious herb bread crumb coating.
Bryan and I have (re)devoted ourselves to making dinners at home and eating a bit healthier. It’s important for our health as well as our budget, and chicken meets both of those requirements. Eating a Stuffed Pizza Chicken Roll is definitely better for me in the long run than eating a slice of pizza!
So know that this chicken roll recipe will not be the last! I’ve already got a Fajita Chicken Roll Up planned for dinner for us later this week. If it’s as good as I hope, then it will be on the blog soon, too!
- 4 thin boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3-4 slices of mozzarella (I use part skim)
- 16-20 slices of pepperoni
- 6-10 mushrooms, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- Thin slices of red onion
- Marinara sauce (at least ½ cup, amount will vary on your preferred sauce amount)
- ¼ c olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ c Italian bread crumbs (or season regular bread crumbs with Italian Seasoning)
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ***Customize by using your preferred pizza toppings
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prep your desired baking dish or pan with cooking spray and set aside until ready.
- Put parchment paper on your work space and lay out your chicken.
- In the center put half slice of mozzarella cheese, a small spoonfull marinara spread out thinly, 4-5 slices of pepperoni, and a small amount of your mushrooms, red peppers, and onions. If you put too many in, you won't be able to roll.
- Loosely roll each one up and set them seam side down. I found it easier to work with them if I used a toothpick to hold them together for the next part.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
- In another small bowl, combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Dip the chicken roll-up into the oil mixture and then into the bread crumb mixture. Rubbing these things onto the chicken might be easier than rolling the chicken in them.
- Place seam side down on the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then remove briefly to top each roll-up with marinara sauce, a qaurter to half slice of mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper. Bake again until the cheese is melted (about 5 minutes)
- Sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.