Hi! I’m Shannah from Just Us Four. I am so excited to help Maggie celebrate Birthday month! Before we get into the delicious recipe I want to share with you today, let me introduce myself 🙂 I am a mom to 2 awesome kids who take up most of my time. When I’m not with them or working, you will most certainly find me at the stove or by the oven cooking. Since before I could remember, I love spending time in the kitchen and creating food. You’ll find all our latest adventures, cooking and otherwise, on my blog, Just Us Four.
One of the things I LOVE to do is make food for celebrations. I’m not much a baker but I try my hand from time to time. My husband is more of a cookie/bars type person so I thought I would bring carrot cake cookie bars to the birthday celebration here instead of a traditional cake.
The carrot cake bars are full of delicious oatmeal, real carrots and white chocolate. We top that party in your mouth off with homemade cream cheese frosting!
- ¾ cup butter softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¾ cup flour
- 1½ cup oats
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup raisins
- 8oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour. Stir gently to mix.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Add in eggs, one at a time. In ½ cup increments, add in flour mixture. Let each prior additional mix in before adding more. Fold in oats, carrots, chocolate chips and raisins.
- Spread cookie dough into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool before slicing into bars.
- For frosting, beat together cream and cheese and butter until smooth. Working in ¼ cup increments, slowly beat in powdered sugar. Add milk, by the ½ Tbsp, until you reach the desired consistency. Spread on cool cookie bars.
In case you are just dying to eat one or (I find this impossible to imagine) someone doesn’t like cream cheese frosting, these are absolutely delicious on their own too.
Thanks for letting me a part of the birthday celebration!