Easy Chicken Taco Salad that is perfect for chicken leftovers!
When I can get Bryan to eat a salad, it is a miracle. He tends to view anything green with extreme caution but this Chicken Taco Salad is a delicious exception. It is full of everything he loves – seasoned chicken, corn, black beans, avocado and tomatoes (okay, the picky eater might ask for no tomatoes). It is filled to the brim with amazing ingredients and makes an easy dinner idea, especially with leftover chicken!
This chicken is the same chicken I use for my Chicken Tortilla Soup, my Lightened Buffalo Chicken Dip and my lunch quesadillas. I love making a big batch in the crock pot and keeping extra chicken in the fridge. Repurposed left overs is great for the budget and for busy nights.
While I love a good ranch or honey mustard for my salads, sometimes I want something different. Homemade salad dressings used to intimidate me, but not anymore! For this Chicken Taco Salad, I made a Jalapeno and Avocado Greek Yogurt Dressing. It’s light (no mayo, heavy cream or sour cream) and delicious!
- Shredded Chicken 1 chicken breast would probably provide chicken for at least 2-3 salads depending on size
- 16 oz Chicken Broth
- 1 tbsp Chili pepper
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- Salad base of choice - Spinach Romaine Hearts, Kale, etc.
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Black Beans
- Fresh Corn Kernels
- To cook the chicken: put boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crock pot with chicken broth and seasoning. You want the chicken broth to come to about the top of the chicken. Cook 3- 4 hours on high and 5-6 hours on low. Remove from broth and shred with forks when fully cooked.
- Make tortilla bowls: Preheat oven to 375. Choose the shape you want for your bowls. Coat the inside of oven safe bowls with cooking spray and gently press tortilla inside bowl. Then, place bowls on two large baking sheets and bake for 14-16 minutes or until evenly browned. Use tongs to transfer to a wire cooling rack. I used Medium/8" tortillas for the one shown for lunch; Large/10" might be better for dinner.
- For the Salad: Combine everything for a yummy taco salad!