My husband and I work hard to come up with fun at home date night ideas, especially since becoming parents. We miss going out whenever we feel like it, but stay at home date nights don’t need to be involve only sitting down in front of the tv. This month we had a Fiesta Date Night with an easy cranberry margarita recipe, Frontera® Chicken Fajita Skillet, and a salsa flight!
Make Dinner for At Home Date Night Easy
It is so easy to fall into the same pattern every single night: Bryan comes home from work, he plays with Liam for a little before dinner, we eat, we go through bedtime routine, and then we watch some tv together or do our own separate activities. It’s a comfortable routine, but it also doesn’t lead to much talking or connecting. So at least once a week, we work hard to come up with something a little different for our time together at home, even laid back theme nights like Fiesta Date Night.
With crazy schedules and another round of colds passing through the house the last week, it was time to reconnect without a lot effort. It can be hard to feel any sort of date night vibe though after balancing Liam and work all day, but it’s even harder if I have to then stand in the kitchen for an hour cooking on top of it. Easy dinners are always a win for date night!
I picked up a bag of Frontera Chicken Fajita Skillet with tender seared chicken, fire-roasted poblanos and chipotle chiles! Frontera Foods brings authentic Mexican ingredients to easy meals that are ready in under 15 minutes and I love that I can actually understand all of the ingredient items. Cook in a skillet and then toss onto tortillas for a chicken fajita wrap or pair with rice for a fajita bowl dinner. Either way, it’s delicious and made for two!
Plus it’s easy enough for Bryan to make! Open bag. Heat skillet. Add a little oil and the ingredients of the bag. Cook for around 10 minutes. Eat!
So next time you are in Target, make sure to look for Frontera Skillets, inspired by Chef Rick Bayless, in the freezer section; they come in chicken fajita skillet, chicken taco skillet (which we will be trying for our next date night!), carnitas taco skillet, veggie taco skillet, and barbacoa taco skillet. You can use this coupon for 25% off through November 25, 2017.
Spice Up Your Date Night at Home with a Salsa Tasting
Date night activities don’t have to be elaborate for it to be fun. It’s all about doing something different together and breaking the routine. We both love food and trying new things, so I thought it would be fun for us to taste test some new salsas and see if we could find one we love! Because honestly, we have never had one that we love.
I came home from Target with 3 of Frontera’s salsas: Red Tomato Salsa Mexicana with Jalapeño and Cilantro, Double Roasted Tomato Salsa, and Tomatillo Salsa. They were all delicious, but it’s not a fun taste testing if you don’t make the hard decisions and choose favorites. The Red Tomato Salsa Mexicana with Jalapeño and Cilantro was easy both of our favorites. We love cooking with jalapenos, so I think this just fit our taste style easily. While the Tomatillo Salsa wasn’t my favorite on a chip, I can’t wait to cook with it, and you will probably see it on some future recipes soon!
Sip on a Tasty Cranberry Margarita
One of the best advantages of having at home date nights? Cheaper drinks! 😉 With cranberries in season and the holidays coming up, we thought it would be fun to make Cranberry Margaritas for our fiesta date night! While I’m not a huge fan of original margaritas, I love fruity, flavored margaritas. The key though to make it feel special, even at home, is to put the extra little effort to rim the margarita glass with salt or sugar!
How to Rim a Glass with Salt or Sugar:
- For this cranberry margaritas, I recommend using either a lime and running it along the edge of the glass or using simple syrup, which is my go-to method for any cocktail. When using simple syrup, pour a little into a saucer and run the outside edges of the glass in the syrup.
- Try to avoid the inside rim of the glass as much as possible. It can quickly become a salt water margarita if too much salt gets on the inside of the glass.
- Put your salt or sugar in a shallow bowl or a saucer and wiggle the edge of the glass into the topping . I like using a shallow bowl when my glass is small enough because I can tip all of the topper to one side and feel like I get better coverage.
- If rimming glasses in advance for a party, I recommend only rimming half the glass because I’ve found some people don’t appreciate a rimmed glass. Still looks pretty but gives people the choice to enjoy the cocktail without it.
You Might Also Enjoy These Other At Home Date Night Ideas:
- 14 Days of Love: Dating my Husband at Home
- Two Player Board Games
- The Not So Newlywed Game
- Couples Scattegories
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 lime, (quartered)
- 1.5 ounce silver tequila , (1 shot or jigger)
- 3/4 ounce triple sec, (1/2 shot or smaller jigger)
- 3-5 ounces 100% cranberry juice, (to taste)
- fresh cranberries for garnish
- Rim your glasses with coarse sea salt (or sugar if you prefer) and set aside to set.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add lime juice from a quartered lime, tequila, triple sec, and cranberry juice. Shake to mix.
- Add ice to your glass and pour margarita mix over top. Garnish with cranberries and a lime quarter. Enjoy!
- If drink is too strong to your taste, add more cranberry juice.
- If drink is too tart for you, add a little bit of sugar to the mix.
- If you don't have a cocktail shaker, add to a larger glass so you can stir!