Gorgeous Apple Rose Pastries you definitely want to try this weekend!
A friend told me about a video they saw floating around the internet about using apples with pastry to make a little rose. It sounded so pretty that I had to give it a try.
It took a few attempts to figure out how to make them work but I’m glad I kept trying. Just look how pretty these are!
Plus, they really are not hard to make now that I know how to do so. The key is thin slices of apple. If your apples are too thick, they will crack them you roll them. The first attempt I was too impatient and slices the apples way to fast without thinking. Have a little patience while making thin slices.
I just love these little pastries – so pretty! They would make the perfect addition for any special brunch and event – Mother’s Day, showers, anniversaries. The options are endless!
- 1 Large or 2 Smaller Apples (I used Gala)
- 1 Sheet of puff pastry (thawed)
- ½ Lemon - Juice
- Apple Butter
- Cinnamon and Ground Gloves to Taste
- Slice your apple in half and then carefully cut the core out. You want to keep the half of the apple in tact.
- Then, slice your half apple pieces into thin strips of apple.
- Place those apple slices in a microwavable bowl of water with juice of half a lemon. This will help prevent the apples from browning. Microwave the apples for 4 minutes to soften. Then, drain the water out of the bowl.
- Roll out your thawed puff pastry sheet slightly on a floured surface. Cut into 6 even strips.
- Spread a thin layer of apple butter onto each strip.
- Start on one end and place the apple strips onto the puff pastry sheet. The apple slices will stack on top of each other as you work your way down. You want a little of the apple popping off the pastry strip. Leave a little empty pastry at the end of the strip.WARNING - the apple might be a bit warm.
- Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and ground cloves to taste. Nutmeg would also be a good choice.
- Fold over the bottom half of the pastry on top of the apple slices.
- Start at one side and start rolling. When you get to the end, take the little bit of extra puff pastry and rub/press it into other pastry to create a slight seal.
- Place them into a muffin pan cup sprayed with a little bit of non-stick spray.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let cool on rack.
When I made this, I used my recipe for Homemade Apple Butter. My sister says it tastes like Cracker Barrel’s, which is a pretty high compliment. The best part? You can easily make a batch in your crock pot!
I hope you enjoy!
If you enjoy this recipe, you might enjoy my other dessert recipes!