I am really excited about this, everyone! I’m even more excited for it to start on Sunday so my husband can start opening his notes. (Bryan… if you are reading this, STOP! You promised.)
My blog would make it seem that Valentine’s Day is a big deal in our house, but it’s not really. It’s not about the holiday, at least. My husband and I really like spending time together and finding fun ways to grow our relationship or make the other person feel appreciated. For me, it is acts of service (Bryan going to the grocery store so I don’t have or getting the laundry done when I need it) and little acts of affection. For Bryan it’s quality time spent together and words of affection, so this project is perfect for him!
Plus, Valentine’s Day also comes at a very busy time for my husband in his job. We are both feeling run down this week with work schedules and the dreary winter. It’s at these times where relationships take a bit more work. These 14 Notes of Love is just the fun attention our relationship needs right now!
In coming up with the notes themselves, I wanted a balance between activities together and sweet little notes. I also didn’t want the activities to be too demanding with how tired we have been, so one of the nights is making a box mix of brownies for dessert – a treat for us, for sure, but one that doesn’t take too much thought or work. I did say this was supposed to be fun, not work!
- Empty Picture Frame (mine is about 16×14)
- Push Pins or other device you can stick into the back of the picture frame to string the twine
- Bakers twine or another preferred string
- Paper in a few coordinating designs
- Template for Envelope or a mini envelope Silhouette Design (I used #69041)
- Washi Tape for Envelope closure
- First you will need to measure your frame and decide how large your envelopes need to be. This does take some basic math skills. My frame was about 14×16 so I could fit 4 rows of envelopes at around 2.5×3 inches.
- Cut out all the envelopes and fold them.
- Plan out your notes (I made sure activities were scheduled on days we could do them) and then write your notes either directly on the inside of the envelope or on a piece of paper that will fit into the envelope. When you are done, seal with washi tape (makes it easy to open and close again) and number your notes.
- Prep the frame! You will want to put some sort of hook onto the back of the frame to tie your twine or ribbon. I used small, clear 3M hooks (the hooks used for holding cords, for example).
- Once in place, tie your twine to create the frame you need for the envelopes.
- Attach your envelopes. You could do this with mini clothespins if you have them. I just folded the top flap of the envelope over the twine and secured the envelopes closed with the Washi.
Tip: I suggestion writing down the notes in your own calendar so you don’t forget what day is what- at least the activities. I wanted to make sure that I didn’t plan something over our date night to the movie theatre, for example.
If you don’t want to fuss with the frame and make a decor piece out of the Love Notes, you could easily put them in a mason jar or place one out every day for them to find. It is the sentiment that really matters – NOT the appearance. For example, I did something similar for our anniversary once and it was done on Post-It notes.
Need some ideas for the notes? Here are some suggestions, some of which I used and some of which I brainstormed just for you guys. (In case Bryan is still reading, I don’t want him to know what’s coming. haha)
- Today I have loved you for NUMBER days.
- Let’s have a lunch date out this week! Your choice!
- Thank you for always supporting me!
- We are ordering in – your choice!
- A truly special night!
- Sweets for my sweet! Let’s have a chocolate kind of night!
- Tonight you get a back rub!
- A movie date tonight to any movie of your choice
- Good for breakfast in bed tomorrow.
- One free car wash
- A romantic dinner for two
- One hour of uninterrupted free time
- 30 minutes of cuddles
- A night of romantic pampering
- A weekend getaway
- One evening of dancing
- 24 hours of no arguments – no matter what!
- One late night craving delivered
- One coffee break
- One shopping spree
- Free access to the remote for one night
- Thank you for letting me be me
- I love EVERYTHING about you
What is a note that you would include? Is there a special treat your partner would love?
JOIN OUR EMAIL COMMUNITY!
Join our Awesome Nerd Community for new content updates as well as our FLASH FREEBIES!
When you confirm your subscription, you will be taken to a confirmation page with a link to all the current flash freebies to download! Already subscribed but missed the flash freebie email? Simply confirm your subscription again for download access!
I ? this idea. I will be using it. Brian is a luck guy. My favorite is 24hours of no arguing. My husband would be the one to use it in the midst of one.
Janeane Davis says
This is such a cute idea. I write love notes all year long so this is up my alley.
I think this is the most darling idea! I might just have to recreate this one!
This is a wonderful to show love and decorate the home. I wish I was as talented as you are.
Marilyn - Goody Bag Lady says
I LOVE love this idea! It is so pretty and inviting too! It seems easy enough for me to even do, thank you … pinning
Mama to 5 BLessings says
Awe what a cute idea. Love the colors you chose too. This would be great for an advent also.
Such a sweet idea for Valentines Day .. I’m actually excited to try this D-I-Y Project
THis is so incredibly sweet and adorable. Though I won’t be making a frame, i can leave notes around for the men in my house.
Lois Alter Mark says
What a great idea! So cute and so meaningful. I may have to make one of them, too!
This is a really cute idea. And the striped twine like that is a perfect touch!
Jennifer at Making Our Life Matter says
These are so sweet. I want to do something special for hubby, so this is a perfect idea!
What a cute idea!
Kimberly Morgan says
I’m totally doing this for my hubs for Valentine’s Day! So adorable!!
what a brilliant and fun idea to show your spouse some love. Will try this.
This is such a sweet idea. I will definitely be trying this 🙂
Christine Luken says
I love this Valentine’s Day idea! Personal gifts are always better than something from the mall.
Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says
That is such a sweet idea. I would love to make one of these.
maria @ closetohome says
what an adorable idea. I think I should have the kids do this to each other since all they seem to do anymore is fight.
Jessica Beal Harlow says
This is such a cute Advent type calendar with Valentine’s as the theme! I think I might try to do this for my husband this year!