Make your parent life or on-the-go life easier by being prepared and keeping certain things in your car this summer! So get together all your summer essentials and be prepared with a full summer trunk organizer!
Put Together your Essential Summer Trunk Organizer!
After more snow and ice in April than I can ever remember, the weather is finally turning around here in Chicago. Spring has officially bloomed and with 80-degree weather, I can feel summer just around the corner! I can’t wait! While I can handle winter as a midwest girl, this is my type of weather.
With the sun shining all week, I decided it was time to take the winter gear out of the car (goodbye shovels, coats, heavy blankets and car scrapers) and create my Summer Trunk Organizer! Liam and I headed out one morning to Walmart to pick up a few summer essentials as well as a few groceries since we were there. Then when Liam went down for a nap, I got to cleaning, organizing and preparing for warm weather!
Before having Liam, my car was never so well stocked. I always believed in certain car essentials, but that list has quickly grown. Most of the items I don’t need on a regular basis, but I am always thankful to have these must-have items in my car just in case. Mainly because it allows my very Type-A personality to be a little more easygoing during our busiest season.
Whether we’re headed to the park down the street, making a day trip into the city, or heading out on one of our summer road trips, I am prepared! I mean, who doesn’t like being prepared?! Maybe I was meant to be a boy scout!
Back to the post at hand though… I wanted to hop on here and share with you all the list of what to keep in your car this summer! Some of these things might be unnecessary for your lifestyle (there are items for everyone as well as some items that are just for a parent box) and there might be some things you consider overkill. But remember – I like to be prepared here!
Great Things to Keep in Your Car this Summer:
- Clorox® To Go Pack – The On The Go packs are convenient and perfect for cleaning and disinfecting surfaces while you are on the go because summer can be messy and you never know when you are going to need to clean or wipe something down! Plus with upcoming road trips, I always want them handy for wiping down high chairs and hotel cribs!
- Sun Gear – These items include sunscreen, sunglasses, towel, flip flops, shorts, tank top/tee, extra swimsuit, and swim diapers.
- Paper Towels
- Bug Spray
- Diaper Gear – Diapers and baby wipes as well as hand sanitizer, changing pad and diaper trash bags.
- Toys – There is inevitably a couple summer road trips and random times I to need to kill some time in the car waiting for someone or something, so I like having a few car-friendly toys ready to go. These include water wow books, sticker books, a regular book to read, play keys, or play cell phone. I also like to include a couple outdoor toys like balls or frisbees for outdoor play on the go.
- Snacks – Good heat-resistant snacks are graham crackers, crackers, pretzels, granola bars, and nuts.
- Water Bottles – We normally bring fresh water with us wherever we go in our reusable water bottles, but I like to keep a couple bottles in the car just in case. There are concerns about toxins with plastic in the heat, but I would rather have water in a real emergency then go without. I’ve also used these bottles more often to wash something off like muddy hands and shoes.
- Extra clothes for the whole family in case we get dirty or stuck in a downpour as well as sweatshirts for chilly or buggy nights. Speaking of bugs….
- Picnic Gear – Blanket, paper plates, napkins and plastic silverware are all nice to have on hand in case things run late and we end up eating while out and about. Plus an extra (empty) sippy cup, snack cup, bib and toddler utensils for Liam which makes feeding him on the go much easier.
- Extra Shopping Bags – After our Walmart run, I took a few of our bags and placed them in our summer essentials box. I like having them on hand for placing dirty clothes after being changed or cleaning out the car when needed. It’s always handy having extra bags.
- Lastly, a first aid kit! One of my favorite hacks is using a weekly medicine dispenser to hold a few of the meds I like to keep on handy for the whole family instead of having a lot of bottles in the car
All of these things can be picked up on your next Walmart run and many of them in smaller sizes that are perfect for keeping in the car can be found in the Walmart Trial and Travel section. For example, I love having these 9 count Clorox To Go Packs on hand. I have them in the trunk, in the glove department, in the diaper bag, in my work bag, and even in my purse which comes in handy for shopping carts!
I like having all the power of these bacteria-killing wipes with me in such a convenient size. Whether I’m at home with my big container or on the go with these little packs, I have the same bleach-free wipes that kill 99.9% of viruses and bacteria!
So make sure to head into Walmart soon to get stocked up on your must-have items for a summer on the move and please let me know if there is anything else that I should add to the list! I’m always interested to hear what your summer and car essentials are!