Saltine Toffee is a quick and easy Christmas Candy that is an addicting sweet and salty holiday treat! Known by many as Christmas Crack, this is a candy recipe you will definitely want to add to your holiday menu!
EVERYONE WILL LOVE THIS SWEET AND SALTY SALTINE TOFFEE!
I’ve been trying to add more Christmas Candy recipes to the site and to our own holiday dessert menu because I love how easy they are to make and share with friends and neighbors. It started with Rolo Pretzel Bites and Peppermint Chocolate Pretzel Rods and now I’m sharing totally addicting Saltine Toffee!
You might have heard of Christmas Crack before and that is what Saltine Toffee is! I’m not sure exactly why it started being called Christmas Crack over time, but it definitely deserves the name. It’s delicious, addicting an the perfect sweet and salty combo.
I am a sucker for a sweet and salty treat, and this definitely fits that category! You start with a layer of saltine crackers, with a rich toffee layer in the middle and then topped with chocolate. The three could not go better together!
Another reason this Christmas candy should make it onto your holiday baking list? Chocolate Saltine Toffee only takes 5 ingredients and 15 minutes of active prep work. Then you will just need to let it chill before enjoying!
WHAT IS TOFFEE?
Toffee is a firm candy that’s naturally brittle, making it perfect for brittle recipes that break apart into pieces like this Saltine Toffee. However, despite it’s hard nature, it can be easily chewed and enjoyed as it sort of melts in your mouth.
At it’s base, it’s made by boiling together sugar and butter. Some people make it using granulated sugar. I, however, prefer the molasses flavors that occur while using brown sugar with the butter.
HOW TO MAKE SALTINE TOFFEE … AKA CHRISTMAS CRACK
You only need to gather five ingredients to make this saltine toffee: saltine crackers, butter, brown sugar, bittersweet chocolate chips and sprinkles or nuts for the topping. That’s it! FIVE!
This saltine toffee is a large batch Christmas candy depending on how large of pieces you break apart from the brittle. It makes it perfect for holiday parties, neighbor gifts and more! While perfect for the holidays, it is delicious all year long!
First, start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepping your large baking sheet with sides with parchment paper for easier clean up.
TIP: You must use a baking sheet with sides or you will have a HUGE mess in your kitchen and oven.
Next, lay out your Saltine crackers in a single layer. The parchment paper makes it a little trickier to put the saltine crackers down but it’s worth it for the clean up later.
Once you’ve prepared the saltine crackers, you will need to melt the butter and brown sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir consistently until it’s melted, combines and comes to a strong boil. Once boiling, let it boil for 3 minutes and continue stirring to prevent any scorching.
After the 3 minutes, you’ll pour the mixture over the saltine crackers and spread it around. Then, add to the oven for 5-8 minutes and cook until the toffee layer has started to bubble.
After you take the pan from the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the toffee and let them sit for 5 minutes which will melt them. When the chocolate chips are softened, you’ll spread the chocolate all over.
Sprinkles with either your sprinkles of choice or chopped nuts on top.
Refrigerate until firm and then break your Saltine Toffee apart into desired pieces.
BAKING TIPS FOR MAKING SALTINE TOFFEE
You will want to have your pan prepped and your oven preheated before tackling the toffee later because you will want to be able to pour that layer on as soon as it’s done.
Prep your pan with parchment paper for easier clean up. It makes the placement of saltine crackers a little trickier, but I prefer the super easy clean up that using it offers.
You do NOT want to overcook the toffee on the stove because it will scorch, so make sure to set a timer for 3 minutes once the butter and brown sugar comes to a boil.
Decide what toppings you want to use ahead of time so it’s ready once the chocolate is spread and still soft. Otherwise, it won’t stick very well to the toffee. You can use any season or holiday sprinkles which makes it a great holiday toffee to have in your cookbook all year long or any chopped nuts.
HOW TO STORE SALTINE TOFFEE
Put your Saltine Toffee pieces into an airtight container at room temperature for 2 weeks or in the freezer for at least 4 weeks
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE OTHER CHRISTMAS CANDY RECIPES:
- HOLIDAY ROLO PRETZEL BITES
- WHITE CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT PRETZEL RODS
- PEANUT BUTTER CRACKER TOFFEE
- PRETZEL TURTLES CANDY
YOU ONLY NEED 5 INGREDIENTS AND 15 MINUTES OF ACTIVE COOKING FOR THIS SWEET AND SALTY SALTINE TOFFEE!
- 40 saltine crackers, the exact number of crackers will depend on your pan
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup holiday sprinkles, candies, or chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Line a large baking pan with sides with parchment paper or foil and lay out an even layer of saltine crackers on top. This will make clean up infinitely easier.
- Place the butter and sugar in a medium sized pot over low medium-low heat, stir constantly until butter is melted and the mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly!
- Pour toffee mixture evenly over saltine crackers. Spread the mixture with a knife or spatula, moving quickly before it hardens.
- Place pan in the oven and bake for 5-8 minutes. Toffee mixture will spread more and be a little bubbly.
- Remove pan from the oven and top with chocolate chips. Allow them to sit for a few minutes so they warm and melt, making it so you can easily spread the chocolate on top with a knife or spatula.
- Top with the sprinkles, nuts or candies while the chocolate is still soft.
- Place in the fridge or freezer for 15-30 minutes until the chocolate has hardened. Once ready, break pieces apart and place in an air tight container.