Hosting friends and families definitely doesn’t slow down during the summer months, so I am always trying to think of new, tasty recipes to whip up for dinner. The problem is – we don’t always have access to a grill and no one wants to turn the oven on for longer than absolutely necessary during the hot temps. No one wants to be sweating over the grill or oven when they have guests over!
Turning to the crock pot is always a good option and easy, too! What I love most about using the crock pot during the summer is that everyone can be outside enjoying the sun and lawn games instead of the cook needing to be in the kitchen or over a hot grill. It’s perfect for hosting! This time around I decided to make a Crock Pot BBQ Brisket Sandwich with Jalapeno Cole Slaw, and Bryan is definitely addicted! Slow cooking the brisket allows the meat to be nice and tender at the end. It takes about 8 hours for a 3 lb beef brisket and it’s worth every minute! When you go to take the meat out, it will easily fall apart on the fork. I like to put some aside right away for later because I love the flavor of the beef all by itself, but a BBQ Brisket definitely says summer. When picking a sauce for a brisket, I look for one with a great smokey flavor.
To make the sandwich to my liking, I need a soft, great tasting roll that is all sturdy enough to handle the BBQ sauce. Martin’s 12 Sliced Potato Rolls are definitely my preferred choice for this! There are no artificial dyes, ADA or GMOs in their products, and the taste is amazing! Many people turn to Martin’s products for hamburgers and hot dogs, and that is a good choice, but they have a great line of bread that can be used for so many different types of recipes, including my Crock Pot BBQ Brisket Sandwich.
- 3 lb beef brisket
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- BBQ Sauce - your preferred flavor. I recommend something smokey.
- Prepared Coleslaw with a squeeze of lime juice and 1 chopped jalapeno no seeds
- Martin's 12 Sliced Potato Rolls
To prepare brisket: Combine all spices (from chili powder to onion powder) n a small bowl.
Rub olive oil all over brisket and then rub the spices on both sides.
Put in a 6-quart slow cooker and add broth and Worcestershire sauce. Toss in any remaining spices as well.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
When done, remove brisket and shred with 2 forks. Then drain the liquid from the crock pot.
Add the shredded meat back into the crock pot and add your desired amount of bbq sauce. Keep on warm until you are ready to eat. Make your sandwiches and enjoy!
So after you have the BBQ Beef Brisket and you have Martin’s 12 Sliced Potato Rolls, then you need the perfect topping. If you have never had coleslaw on top of a BBQ sandwich, you are missing out. It is my favorite! It offers an amazing creamy, tanginess to the smokey BBQ sauce and a great crunch. For this recipe, I decided to make easy coleslaw with a pre-chopped bag and a jar of sauce, but I added a squeeze of lime juice for tanginess and chopped up jalapenos (no seed) for subtle heat and even more crunch. I will definitely be making this combo again soon!!
ITEMS HELPFUL FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE:
- Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker With Temperature Probe, 6-Quart
- Hamilton Beach Travel Case & Carrier Insulated Bag
- Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners 2 Pack
- Pulled Pork Shredder Claws
- SWEET BABY RAY’S Sweet N’ Spicy BBQ Sauce
GREAT SLOW COOKER COOK BOOKS:
- 5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Cookbook: Quick and Easy 5 Ingredient Crock Pot Recipes
- Slow Cooker Cookbook for Two
- Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes!
- The Meat Lover’s Slow Cooker Cookbook: Hearty, Easy Meals Cooked Low and Slow
- American Heart Association Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook
- 50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker