DIY Minnie Mouse Onesie – an easy Freezer Paper craft!
Lately, I have seen so many fabric projects using “Freezer Paper”, but I has never used it myself OR actually seen it. I just had the hardest time finding it and actually did a discreet happy dance in the grocery store aisle when I found a box! We were about to leave for Disney, so I decided to experiment with the Freezer paper and make a onesie for my niece. It was so easy to use, and I can’t wait to try new projects.
Shirt or Onesie
Fabric Paint (I use Tulip Soft Fabric Paint < —- Affiliate Link)
Stencil or Computer Design to cut out
Ribbon or flower to embellish the design
1. Cut out your design onto the Freezer Paper. You will be ironing on the design shiny side down onto the fabric. For Mickey Mouse, this didn’t matter because the design is symmetrical; if you design is not symmetrical, make sure it is correct shiny side down. I cut the design out using my Silhouette; if you use a craft machine to cut out the design, put the matte side down on the cutting mat and flip the design horizontally if not symmetrical.
2. Iron the freezer paper stencil onto the fabric shiny side down. Set the iron to no steam.
3. Put a piece of cardboard inside the shirt and then use a paint sponge to apply fabric paint onto the fabric. Make sure you put on a good amount of paint evenly over the design.
4. Let the paint dry for at least an hour and then peel off the stencil.
5. Make or buy an embellishment for the design and sew it onto the shirt/onesie. If you want a tutorial for the embellishment that I made, click here! It is one of the easiest ribbon flowers I have ever made.
What projects have you done using Freezer Paper?
JOIN OUR EMAIL COMMUNITY!
Join our Awesome Nerd Community for new content updates as well as our FLASH FREEBIES!
When you confirm your subscription, you will be taken to a confirmation page with a link to all the current flash freebies to download! Already subscribed but missed the flash freebie email? Simply confirm your subscription again for download access!
Sweet as anything. Pinning to kids. Linda
Awww, thank you, Linda! I appreciate you pinning this project!
Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse says
This is sooo cute! Thank you for sharing. Found you on the DBB. Feel free to share this post at my Make it Pretty Monday party which goes live at 8am CST on Monday. Here is the link for this week’s party if you want to check it out. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/10/make-it-pretty-monday-week-73.html Hope to see you at the bash!
Thanks for stopping by, Kathryn, and for the invite to your party. I will definitely check it out!
Deauna @ Honesty’s Protégée says
Super cute! Too bad my kiddos are too old for this. 😀