Taking time to make our marriage the priority with 14 Days of Love – fun ideas for dating your partner at home that will work with your budget!
I am going to be very honest with all of you – last year was a little rough for my husband and I in the romance department. It’s not that we were fighting or upset with each other; it was just a challenging year. It was challenging because… I was fighting migraines almost every day for 6 months. I was struggling with a boss that didn’t understand and huge decisions about my teaching career. I left my job and started a business. (Exciting – yes – but still really challenging.) My husband was getting accustomed to his new job. My husband’s office was extremely short staffed which meant he was on-call a LOT!
My BIL always tells me that every night is date night before kids, but I just don’t agree. When my husband is playing video games and I am blogging, that’s not a date. When I am crafting in my office and he’s downstairs, that’s not a date. And when we look back and realized we ate while watching TV every night and can’t remember an actual conversation, we are not dating! At least not the types of dates I want. We were often passing ships in the night. Too tired or too ill to actually do anything together besides sit on the couch and watch TV. I like TV – a lot – but I want more out of our marriage.
I want to make dating my husband a priority, so we do.
To start this series off, my husband and I are doing 14 Days of Love with at home dates. Every night for the first-ish 14 days of February, we are going to have an at-home date. Here’s why:
- Dating at home is usually cheaper, and we are have been trying to limit extra expenses. I am sure we are not alone in this.
- We wanted ideas that we could easily use throughout the year as well for both planned or unplanned date nights. I like making things easier in the future.
- I know that many of you are also incredibly busy AND have kids. What I love about these ideas is that many of them could be done when the kids go to bed or even be turned into a FAMILY date night with board games.
The idea is just to spend quality time together, whether it is 14 days in a row or once a week. So let me walk you through our 14 Days of Love!
We love movies in this house, and I realistically planned in a couple low key nights for long days.
- DATE IDEA 1 is a Movie Theatre night at home [with a movie rental.] We will rent a movie neither of us have seen and gather all our normal favorites from the movie theatre – like popcorn, candy and pop.
- DATE IDEA 2 is a mini movie marathon. I am going to pick one of my favorite movies that he has never seen before, and he’ll do the same. It will be fun to see what we come up with! Mine will probably be a much older film than his! Of course, no phones or working through any of the movies! We all need to unplug sometimes and snuggle up!
Games are big in this house! They are a fun way to use your brain and an interesting test of personalities. Game nights are probably our number one way of truly connecting. I have included 3 separate game nights on the 14 Days of Love: Board Game Night, Video Game Night, and a Would You Rather night (which will probably be more fun with alcohol). Don’t stress about making up questions for the last one; the internet is a great resource for this! As for video games and board games, see my posts on our favorite Video Games for Couples and Favorite Board Games for Couples! You might find one you love so much that you want to add it into your monthly budget on the Kaiku® Visa® Prepaid Card.
FOOD AND DRINK NIGHTS
Who doesn’t love food? Let’s be honest, my husband and I plan most of our days around our meals and eating time, so there are 3 date ideas under this category.
- DATE IDEA 1 is a Cheese and Wine Night, which I am probably more excited about than my husband.
- DATE IDEA 2 is a flights night; my husband will probably go somewhere he can make his own six-pack and pick out some craft beer and ciders. Then, with some snacks, we will give them a try and see what we like!
- DATE IDEA 3 is a fancy dinner night. The food might not be fancy, but we are going to get dressed to the 9s and eat at home!
Choose whichever theme you like and make a whole night out of it. For example, choose Italian and make some fabulous pasta for dinner, listen to some jazz, and drink red wine. Then, watch an old or classic movie later! This is definitely an area that spending a little of the budget would be fun. Setting the stage can definitely set the mood so don’t be afraid to purchase fun colored margarita glasses for a Fiesta Night or some new music to dance in the kitchen to.
Build a little intimacy with a couple easy romantic dates.
- DATE IDEA 1 is to write each other love letters. We all need a reminder sometimes of why we are loved. Either read them to each other out loud or exchange them at the same time.
- DATE IDEA 2 is a massage night, and I plan on going all out. Candles, lavender scents, massage oil or lotion… Putting a little effort into making it more special will make us both feel appreciated and cared for.
For our 14 Days of Love, we have 3 other date ideas.
- DATE IDEA 1 is to compare personality tests, even if they are the silly movie character tests. The point is to really compare answers and talk through what makes us tick. AND hopefully learn something new about each other.
- DATE IDEA 2 is to do a Year in Review. I think it’s good to always be reflective of where we came from and where we are going. It’s pretty informal right now, but maybe I will make a printable for all us and all of you!
- DATE IDEA 3 is to read together. I think reading together on the couch will definitely happen this month, and later we hope to do our own mini book club.
Since posting, my husband and I completed our own Couple’s Year in Review and made a fully customizable worksheet for all of you to use! Head over to THIS POST to get it!
Here is the full sheet for all of you! It has all the at home date ideas for you to print out. For us, I am going to cut them out and put them in a mason jar. Then, we can randomly select our date for the night! Download the 14 Days of Love now!
I know many people struggle with how to maintain that set budget though which is why I love the Kaiku® Visa® Prepaid Card.
Using the Kaiku® Visa® Prepaid Card helps you budget for your fun and easily manage your money, so the only thing you have to think about is dating your partner. Or whatever else you choose to use the card for. It’s easy, especially because, the Kaiku card is part of the Visa Clear Prepaid Program, so all the fees are clearly communicated and there are no overdrafts so you can’t spend more money than you have.
Plus, when getting your card, you can pick from 6 fun colors. That might not matter to everyone, but I love any personalization options.
What are some at-home date ideas that you love?
If you like this post, you might like these other date and marriage posts: