Tasty Homemade Baked Pizza Burritos that are easily customized with your favorite pizza toppings! Plus, this baked burritos recipe can be prepped ahead of time, making them the perfect game day appetizer or easy dinner idea!
This Easy Pizza Burrito Recipe Makes an Amazing Game Day Appetizer or Dinner!
Football Sundays are a big deal in our house. So much so that my husband says good morning to our one year old by saying, “It’s game day! Are you ready for some football?” while wearing his Minnesota Vikings sweatshirt. Bryan cares about the teams, the players, the rankings, and, of course, his multiple fantasy teams. I care about the food and having friends over for the company!
We’re gearing up for the playoffs and keeping our hopes alive that the Vikings will appear for the “Big Game!” My husband is insistent that we host a game day party, so I’ve already started experimenting with some new game day recipes, like these delicious Baked Pizza Burritos!
When deciding my game day menu, I always want to select a few easy, classic snacking items and a few appetizers that are a little more filling. For the former, I will put Mission® Tortilla Chips Strips out with a couple salsas and maybe a warm chip dip like my Cheesy Corn and Jalapeno Dip. The Strips are my favorite to put out because they are perfect for dipping as well as being made gluten free with four simple ingredients and sea salt. For the latter, my new pizza burrito recipe will definitely be making the list.
I got the idea to make these Baked Pizza Burritos from the Minnesota State Fair, which is a huge deal in Minnesota. To be honest, I never heard much about the Minnesota State Fair growing up and definitely didn’t hear about people traveling a couple hours to attend. That doesn’t mean it didn’t happen; just that it wasn’t in my radar. The Minnesota State Fair is known for its amazing food selection every year and even has a website dedicated to the food so you can map out your trip.
Everything you can imagine on sticks, fried or stuffed on a bun, or in a burrito! One of the biggest new additions this past summer was the Baked Pizza Burrito, stuffed with pepperoni, Italian sausage, risotto, mozzarella and marinara. As soon as I saw it on the list, I knew it was something I needed to recreate. How could combining two of our favorite things – pizza and burritos – go wrong?
These Pizza Burritos baked int the oven are perfect for game day because they are super easy to customize for your personal preferences and can be prepped ahead of time by baking them in the oven when you need them. For ours, I included the pepperoni, Italian sausage, marinara and mozzarella, like the original. To keep the recipe as easy as possible, I decided to use brown rice instead of risotto since it traditionally takes longer to make. Then I decided to add in a few veggies (mushrooms and spinach) which we like as pizza toppings.
For the burrito itself, I used Mission® Super Soft Flour Tortillas in the Soft Taco size. Since I wanted to make large appetizer-sized Baked Pizza Burritos, this was the perfect size to use. If you want to make a dinner portion, I suggest using more filling with a larger Mission Burrito Flour Tortilla. Add some garlic butter and parmesan on top before baking for the finish touch! Mission Tortillas are a pantry staple for us because they’re so easy to use with a variety of dishes while always being soft and flavorful.
How to Fold a Burrito:
- First – at least slightly warm your tortilla. This will make folding burritos easier, and it’s recommended for full flavor.
- Once you have all your fillings in place, pull the bottom half of the burrito over to meet the top half. Then pull it back slightly, tucking your ingredients into the folded over portion. This is the start of your roll.
- Fold in both sides.
- With both ends folded, tightly roll your tortilla until closed. I find that keeping a finger on both sides while rolling the burrito at first keeps the burrito fold a little tighter.
Mission wants to help you celebrate the Big Game and are offering a Game Day Sweepstakes. Visit MissionPartyKit.com between 1/1/18 and 1/19/18 to enter to win a party kit! Prizes may include a Roku® Streaming Stick®, party decorations, and a recipe card for your favorite team. The Grand Prize winner could even win a 70 inch 4K TV!
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. PURCHASE WON’T INCREASE CHANCES OF WINNING. Open to 50 US states/DC residents, age of majority (age 19 in AL & NE/ age 21 in MS/age 18 in all other states and DC) or older. Enter at www.MissionPartyKit.com. One entry/calendar day. Sweepstakes begins 12:00:01 a.m. ET on 1/1/18 and ends 11:59:49 p.m. ET on 1/19/18. For prizes, odds & official rules, go to www.MissionPartyKit.com.
Now, Let’s Make Some Tasty Baked Burritos with Your Favorite Pizza Toppings!
- 10 Mission® Super Soft Flour Tortillas: Soft Taco
- 1 1/2 cups Marinara or Pizza Sauce
- 60 slices Pepperoni
- 1 pound Italian Sausage (I prefer hot)
- 8 ounces Mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup Fresh spinach (cut into thin slices)
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella
- 2 cups Brown Rice (cooked)
PIZZA BURRITO TOPPING
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 teasspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- Grated Parmesan (sprinkle desired amount on each)
- Cook your Italian Sausage thoroughly, crumbling it into small pieces.
- Heat 1 or 2 tortillas at a time for 20-30 seconds, making them easier to work with. Then, later about 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce, 6 slices of pepperoni, 2 tablespoons of brown rice, 2 tablespoons of Italian Sausage, sliced spinach and mushrooms, and 2 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese.
- ***These are all approximate measurements per tortilla. Feel free to adjust and customize for your needs.
- Roll up your burrito and place seam down in a baking dish. Repeat until all are prepped.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 F. Mix your melted butter, Italian Seasoning and Garlic Powder and brush onto the tops of the prepared burritos with a pastry brush. Then sprinkle with desired Parmesan Cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes and enjoy!