Chicken Bacon Roll Ups with delicious cream cheese and herb filling on the inside and crispy corn flake coating on the outside! Your family will love these easy stuffed chicken roll ups!!!
Cream Cheese Chicken Bacon Roll Ups are an easy stuffed chicken recipe!
While they are not as popular as traditional stuffed chicken recipes, chicken roll ups are my preferred way to “stuff” chicken with delicious fillings. Like the bacon, cream cheese, and herbs in this tasty chicken bacon roll up!
I mean, bacon! Everything is better with bacon!
Plus you have some cream cheese, onion, garlic, Italian Seasoning and pepper to round out the spices and flavor combination. The filling makes the perfect pairing with the chicken and bacon!
This is one of the very first recipes I ever shared on the blog and has continued to be popular year after year. And the recipe still holds up!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN BACON ROLLS UPS WITH HERBED CREAM CHEESE FILLING?
Making these chicken bacon rolls up is so easy though to include in your meal planning, and you won’t regret it!
- Beat together cream cheese, onion, Italian Seasoning, garlic powder, pepper and lemon juice until blended. Then stir in chopped bacon.
- Add 2 tablespoons of filling to each thin chicken breast and spread around.
- Roll up the chicken breast.
- Coat in flour, then egg, and lastly in crushed corn flakes.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 F.
HOW LONG DO I BAKE THE CHICKEN BACON ROLL UPS?
The chicken roll up should be ready after 25-30 minutes in a 350 F oven. However, it is always important to use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 F.
Don’t want to cook your chicken roll ups in the oven? Check out my HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ROLL UPS post for instructions on the slow cooker, air fryer and instant pot!
DO I HAVE TO BUY THIN CHICKEN BREAST FOR THESE CHICKEN BACON ROLL UPS?
No! You don’t have to buy thin chicken breasts. I like picking them up for my chicken roll up recipes because it makes meal prep faster for me.
Alternatively, you could use traditional chicken breasts and do one of two things:
- Tenderize the chicken breast until it is thinner and you can roll it up
- Or cut a pocket in the chicken breast and use the herbed cream cheese and bacon filling to make a stuffed chicken breast instead of a chicken roll up. Cooking time should be the same, but again – always check the internal temp!
CAN I FREEZE THESE CHICKEN BACON ROLL UPS?
Yes! These chicken bacon rolls ups can easily be frozen before cooking to enjoy another night for dinner. I often include these in my monthly freezer meal prep.
First, prepare the chicken rolls up all the way through the process of breading the chicken with corn flakes.
Then, store your chicken breasts in a freezer storage bag. I normally store enough chicken breasts for dinner in one bag.
If your dinner count fluctuates, you could individually wrap each chicken roll up in plastic wrap or freezer paper first and then store in a freezer storage bag. This will make it easiest to pull out the chicken rolls up individually as needed.
Defrost your chicken rolls up and then bake in the oven as instructed in the recipe.
HELPFUL ITEMS FOR MAKING CHICKEN ROLL UPS:
MEAT THERMOMETER – I love this meat thermometer and always have it on hand when cooking any meat. For this recipe, make sure your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.
YOU MIGHT ENJOY THESE OTHER CHICKEN RECIPES:
TIME TO MAKE DELICIOUS HERBED CREAM CHEESE AND BACON CHICKEN ROLL UPS!
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN BACON ROLL UPS:
- 6 thin boneless, skinless chicken breasts
INGREDIENTS FOR FILLING:
- 6-8 ounces softened cream cheese, I used Chives and Onion cream cheese for a little extra flavor
- 1 tablespoon of minced onion
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 6 pieces of bacon, cooked and chopped
INGREDIENTS FOR CORN FLAKE COATING
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup corn flake, crumbled well
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, onion, Italian Seasoning, garlic powder, pepper and lemon juice until blended. Stir in cooked and chopped bacon.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture on each piece of chicken and spread it out into a thin layer.
- Roll up your chicken. (if you struggle with this step for any reason, see note below)
- Coat rolls with flour, then lightly dip in egg mixture, followed me rolling them in corn flake crumbs.
- Place chicken rolls in baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is fork tender and has reached internal temperature of 165 F.
WHAT IF MY CHICKEN ROLL UP FALLS APART?
I have only had a few chicken rolls ups fall apart on me over the years. They mostly stay together well enough to cook and enjoy. However, it can happen and with this chicken roll up including a coating, it is even more important for them to stay together.
You can use toothpicks as a temporary stitch to keep the roll together. Just puncture through the last of the chicken in your roll up and into the rest of the roll up. Remember to remove before sharing!
TIPS FOR COATING YOUR CHICKEN ROLL UP:
When coating your chicken, you do not want to soak your chicken roll up in egg. You just want a quick covering.
You also want to make sure to crumble and crush the corn flakes well. Smaller pieces stick better for a coating!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 1122 Total Fat: 89g Saturated Fat: 50g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 30g Cholesterol: 378mg Sodium: 1049mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 10g Protein: 58g