Baked Fajita Chicken Roll Ups are a light, flavorful family friendly chicken recipe! Fabulous low carb dinner idea if you love chicken fajita recipes like we do!
BAKED FAJITA CHICKEN ROLL UPS ARE A TANGY AND TASTY LOW CARB DINNER EVERYONE WILL LOVE!
I have been all about chicken roll Ups lately! We’ve re-dedicated ourselves to cooking fresh dinners at home more often and chicken is usually our go-to item because of how budget friendly it is.
Plus, I think it’s the easiest dinner item to tweak and customize without adding a lot of prep time.
These Chicken Fajita Rolls are especially great for summer. I included fresh bell peppers and onions plus some lime juice and zest. The entire chicken feels light and zesty with a ton of flavor in every single bite.
Your kitchen is going to smell amazing from the zesting process. Regardless of whether it’s lemon, lime or even orange for my Orange Mint Pasta, citrus zest is one of my favorite scents in the whole world!
Never made chicken rolls before? Check out my HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ROLL UPS page. It has a ton of tips and tricks for both making and cooking them, including instructions for air fryer and instant pot. Plus freezing directions and lots of chicken roll up recipes to make!
WHY SHOULD I MAKE THIS CHICKEN FAJITA ROLL UP?
I love traditional chicken fajitas, and we do make them often. But this recipe has been winning out over them lately.
You get all the great veggies and flavor that you normally get with chicken fajitas with way less carbs! Like most people, we definitely eat too many carbs on a normal basis. So this recipe really is a win for us!
Even if you decide not to make this fajita inspired chicken roll up, I definitely suggest using the chicken seasoning for your next fajita night. The combination of the oil and lime juice plus spices was incredible as a chicken fajita marinade!
The spices are an easy way to take chicken from okay to WOW in any form!
HOW TO MAKE THESE FAJITA CHICKEN ROLL UPS?
Making these fajita chicken rolls up is easy but a little bit messy with giving the chicken a good spice rub. Be prepared for some messy hands!
- Combine your oil and lime juice in one bowl and your spices in another.
- Dip your chicken into the oil/juice combo and then rub the spices all over.
- Add bell peppers and red onion slices near the top of your chicken breast.
- Roll it up!
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 F.
HOW LONG DO I BAKE THE CHICKEN BACON ROLL UPS?
The chicken roll up should be ready after 25-30 minutes in a 350 F oven. However, it is always important to use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 F.
Don’t want to cook your chicken roll ups in the oven? Check out my HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ROLL UPS post for instructions on the slow cooker, air fryer and instant pot!
HELPFUL ITEMS FOR MAKING CHICKEN ROLL UPS:
MEAT THERMOMETER – I love this meat thermometer and always have it on hand when cooking any meat. For this recipe, make sure your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.
YOU MIGHT ENJOY THESE OTHER CHICKEN RECIPES:
- HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ROLL UPS
- Stuffed Pizza Chicken Rolls
- Chicken Taco Nachos
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chili Lime Chicken
- Garlic Chicken
ENJOY THESE FLAVORFUL ZESTY CHICKEN FAJITA ROLL UPS!
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN FAJITA ROLL UPS
- 4 thin chicken breasts
OIL AND JUICE COMBO
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 a lime (reserve second half for garnish)
CHICKEN SPICE RUB
- 1 tablespoon lime zest + enough for desired garnish
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped, + enough for desired garnish
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
CHICKEN ROLL UP FILLINGS
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and lime juice.
- In a medium bowl, combine cilantro, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Lay chicken down on a working surface. Dip into oil/lime juice mixture and then sprinkle the chicken with the spice mix and rub into the chicken.
- Place 6 bell pepper slices and 2 red onion slices on the center of each piece of chicken and roll each one tightly. Keeping seam side down, place on on your baking pan or sheet (I use a glass casserole dish.)
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 mins. I always use a meat thermometer to determine doneness.
WHAT IF MY CHICKEN ROLL UP FALLS APART?
I have only had a few chicken rolls ups fall apart on me over the years. They mostly stay together well enough to cook and enjoy. However, it can happen and with this chicken roll up including a coating, it is even more important for them to stay together.
You can use toothpicks as a temporary stitch to keep the roll together. Just puncture through the last of the chicken in your roll up and into the rest of the roll up. Remember to remove before sharing!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 313Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 402mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 38g