Make a super easy chicken tortilla soup in your slow cooker with less than 10 minutes of prep work! It’s the only chicken tortilla recipe you’ll need and makes dinner prep even easier with the ability to cook extra chicken with the coup for other meals during the week. Hearty, flavorful, and full of chicken, veggies and spices!
The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Made Easy in the Slow Cooker!
This recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla soup is one of our most prepared dinner recipes at home and definitely our favorite soup recipe. It’s also been one of our most popular recipes here on The Love Nerds since originally sharing in 2013.
So why is this the BEST chicken tortilla soup for us?
- It takes me only 10 to throw everything into the slow cooker, and that’s only because it takes me a couple minutes to chop up the onion.
- At dinner time, I only have to shred the chicken and toss it back into the soup for dinner ot be ready! I also use this recipe to cook extra chicken that we use for leftovers which I will tell you more about below!
- It has just the right amount of spices to give it a little kick that can easily be tamed down with a good helping of cheese or dollop of sour cream.
- It’s a winner with everyone we make it for – colleagues, family, and friends.
- This easy chicken tortilla soup can also be made gluten free simply by omitting the tortilla strips and it still remains a great chicken soup recipe. You’ll see below that we sometimes like to just eat the soup with regular tortilla chips so we can dip in to eat the hearty filling on a chip!
How to Make Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup:
There are a lot of variations for making chicken tortilla soup, with some taking a lot more prep work by roasting veggies before adding to the soup. While tasty, I don’t have the time for that extra prep work and still find the resulting soup to have a lot of flavor.
Most Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipes will include chicken broth, chicken, corn, chiles, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and, of course, tortillas. Additionally, some recipes add some tomato paste or enchilada sauce to give it a more tomato based broth and some recipes add beans, like mine. I love the added protein black beans add to the recipe and find that it helps fill my husband up more.
When ready to cook this crock pot chicken tortilla soup:
- Toss all your ingredients except for the chicken into your slower cooker and mix together.
- Season your chicken and place on top to cook. The chicken will kick completely in the slow cooker and leaving it on top makes it easy to remove and shred when you are ready to eat.
- Shred chicken and put back into the slow cooker.
- Add your desired tortillas and enjoy!
Cooking Additional Chicken with the Soup for Chicken Week
I plan on doing a whole post about this soon, but this recipe always kicks off a chicken week at this house. What this means is that I cook extra chicken in the slow cooker that I use for dinner recipes throughout the week. It makes a busy week so much easier with fast dinner prep. Last time I made the recipe, I cooked 3 pounds of chicken, adding only 1 pound of shredded chicken back into the soup and saving the rest. So we had a few meals of leftover soup (taking some for lunch and eating maybe once more for dinner) and then use the leftover chicken through the week to make some of these recipes:
- BBQ Chicken Flatbread Pizza
- Buffalo Chicken Flatbread
- Chicken Taco Nachos
- Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
- Chicken Caesar Pitas
- Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
ITEMS HELPFUL FOR MAKING THIS SOUP RECIPE:
- Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker With Temperature Probe, 6-Quart
- Hamilton Beach Travel Case & Carrier Insulated Bag
- Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners 2 Pack
- Pulled Pork Shredder Claws
- Original Rotel
- Swanson’s Low Sodium Chicken Broth
You Might Also Like These Other Soup Recipes:
- Entirely Made in the Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- Slow Cooker Loaded Potato Soup
- Hearty Corn Chowder in Slow Cooker
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Tomato Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup
- Chile Rellano Soup
Now it’s time to enjoy this Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup!
The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe made in the slow cooker with fresh chicken, tomatoes, chiles, black beans, corn, onions, low sodium chicken broth and spices!
- 1 Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts (add more chicken for leftovers if desired)
- 28-32 oz Chicken Broth (I use Low Sodium Swanson Chicken Broth)
- 2 cans Rotel Original
- 2 cans Black Beans (drained)
- 1 can Fresh Kernel Corn (drained)
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- Tortilla Chip Strips or Tortilla Chips
- Mexican Blend Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions, chopped
Add Rotel, black beans, corn, chopped onion, spices, and chicken broth in slow cooker.
Place the cleaned chicken onto the top of the ingredients. Make sure most of the chicken is submerged in the broth.
Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 6 hours.
About 30 minutes before you eat, take out the chicken and shred. The chicken should just fall apart. Put the shredded chicken back in the pot, stir, and let it cook on low until you are ready to eat.
Add Tortilla Chips and any other desired toppings and enjoy!