A light, citrus soup recipe inspired by Panera’s Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup!
Happy National Soup Day, Nerds!! I hope you are having a somewhat mild winter day like we are here in Chicago. It’s not warm, but it’s definitely nicer than the bitter, below zero temperatures that we usually have this time of year. So when I was deciding which soup to share with you all today for National Soup Day, I decided I wanted to go with a lighter soup recipe. Enter my Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup.
Back in the day, Panera used to make a Lemon Chicken Orzo soup that I loved, so this is my copycat version. Now, of course, this is based on my memory from years ago so be fair if you were also a fan of the old Panera version. Either way – I love how light this soup is compared to the thicker, heartier soups I’ve made more of lately. They have their place as amazing comfort food, but this Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup will transition perfectly into spring.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, diced
- 64 ounces chicken broth
- 1 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- ¼ c fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp dill, chopped
- ¾ c dry orzo pasta
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- In a slow cooker place chicken breast, garlic, black pepper, parsley, dill, lemon zest, onion, carrots and chicken broth.
- Cook for 5 hours on high or for 8 hours on low
- Add orzo pasta and cook for one additional hour (on high).
- Remove chicken breast from slow cooker and shred or cube.
- Place the chicken back in the slow cooker, add in lemon juice, celery, and salt to taste. Stir and let cook on high for 1 more hour.
ITEMS HELPFUL FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
GREAT SOUP AND SLOW COOKER COOK BOOKS:
- 50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker
- New England Soup Factory Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes
- Soup & Comfort: A Cookbook of Homemade Recipes to Warm the Soul
- Soup of the Day: 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year
- All-Time Best Soups
- 5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Cookbook: Quick and Easy 5 Ingredient Crock Pot Recipes
- Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes!
- The Meat Lover’s Slow Cooker Cookbook: Hearty, Easy Meals Cooked Low and Slow
Now, because I love trying new soup recipes and think you do, too, I have connected with friends to bring you even more ideas for National Soup Day! Head to the end of the post for more soup ideas!
Thai Chicken Curry Coconut Soup // Eazy Peazy Mealz
Copycat Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli // Tried and Tasty
Creamy Chicken and Corn Chowder // Dessert Now Dinner Later
Copycat Johnny Carino’s Italian Chili // Cupcake Diaries
Smothered Chicken Burrito Soup // A Dash of Sanity
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup // Like Mother Like Daughter
Slow Cooker Homemade Minestrone Soup // Life Made Sweeter
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup // The Love Nerds
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup // One Sweet Appetite
New England Corn Chowder with Bacon // Sugar & Soul
Italian Sausage Pizza Soup // Lemon Tree Dwelling