Add all your favorite toppings and enjoy a flavorful, healthier alternative to a slice of pizza with this Stuffed Pizza Chicken Roll Ups Recipe! A family friendly stuffed chicken recipe that makes an easy weeknight dinner!
PIZZA FANS WILL LOVE THIS HEALTHIER ALTERNATIVE: STUFFED PIZZA CHICKEN ROLLS!
One of the very first recipes I ever shared on this blog was my Bacon and Cream Cheese Chicken Roll Ups, and it has consistently been one of our most popular posts. It’s also been one of our most popular recipes at home!
Making them recently though got my thinking about why I hadn’t made more stuffed chicken roll recipes, so I fixed that problem! Since then, I’ve shared this chicken roll recipe as well as my baked fajita chicken roll ups!
These Stuffed Pizza Chicken Roll ups are probably my husband’s favorite so far. Any recipe with pepperoni and mushrooms are a hit with him. He’s pretty happy to please.
I love them because they are a lot healthier to eat then actual pizza while still getting all the great flavors. It’s not exactly the same, but it’s pretty close second in my book!
Plus, I can have them ready to bake in under 20 minutes or make them ahead of time during my monthly dinner prep and freeze them! Any meal I can freeze for later has become a big win for me since having our second child.
If you have never made this type of chicken recipe before, you should check out my page on HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ROLL UPS! It filled with tons of tips and tricks, including how to cook in your air fryer or instant pot and hot to freeze them for later.
HOW TO MAKE THESE PIZZA CHICKEN ROLL UPS?
Making these pizza chicken rolls up is a pretty easy process, though prep time will vary depending on what you decide to use inside for the filling. For example, if you need to chop more veggies or cook some bacon or Italian sausage first, your prep time will increase.
These ones are also a little messier to make than my other chicken roll ups because I’ve added more ingredients in smaller pieces to the inside PLUS I’ve coated the outside with breadcrumbs. I find that using a toothpick to keep these rolls together helped a ton while prepping them!
Here is your simple process though for making these rolls:
- Prep any filling ingredients that need to be cooked, chopped, etc.
- Add marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pizza topping fillings inside.
- Roll it up! Add toothpick to keep them together better.
- Brush oil combo onto the chicken roll or dip the chicken into the combo.
- Roll in breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 F. Top with more marinara and cheese and cook a few more minutes until melted.
HOW LONG DO I BAKE THE CHICKEN BACON ROLL UPS?
Chicken roll ups should be ready after 25-30 minutes in a 350 F oven. However, it is always important to use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 F.
Don’t want to cook your chicken roll ups in the oven? Check out my HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ROLL UPS post for instructions on the slow cooker, air fryer and instant pot!
THE BEST FILLINGS FOR PIZZA CHICKEN ROLL UPS?
Honestly, the best thing about this recipe for stuffed pizza chicken rolls is that the ingredients are easily customizable for your own pizza preferences. Almost anything you like on a pizza could be used in the filling for this stuffed chicken.
Do you like sausage? Use it! Do you like olives? Chop them up and put them inside!
Your favorite pizza toppings should definitely be the inspiration for your chicken dinner, especially because you are trying to make a healthier pizza substitute that you will love! Go big!
HELPFUL ITEMS FOR MAKING CHICKEN ROLL UPS:
MEAT THERMOMETER – I love this meat thermometer and always have it on hand when cooking any meat. For this recipe, make sure your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.
YOU MIGHT ENJOY THESE OTHER CHICKEN RECIPES:
STUFFED PIZZA CHICKEN ROLL UPS MAKE A FUN FRIDAY PIZZA NIGHT DINNER!
PIZZA CHICKEN ROLL INGREDIENTS
- 4 Thin boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3-4 slices Mozzarella (I use part skim)
- 16-20 slices Pepperoni
- 6-10 Mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 Red bell pepper, chopped
- Thin slices of red onion
- 1/2 cup Marinara sauce (might need more depending on preference)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs (or season regular bread crumbs with Italian Seasoning)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prep your desired baking dish or pan with cooking spray and set aside until ready.
- Put parchment paper on your work space and lay out your chicken.
- In the center put half slice of mozzarella cheese, a small spoonfull marinara spread out thinly, 4-5 slices of pepperoni, and a small amount of your mushrooms, red peppers, and onions. If you put too many in, you won't be able to roll.
- Loosely roll each one up and set them seam side down. I found it easier to work with them if I used a toothpick to hold them together for the next part.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
- In another small bowl, combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Dip the chicken roll-up into the oil mixture or use a brush to coat the chicken. Then dip into the bread crumb mixture. Rubbing the crumbs onto the chicken might be easier for you than rolling the chicken in them.
- Place seam side down on the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then remove briefly to top each roll-up with marinara sauce, a qaurter to half slice of mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper. Bake again until the cheese is melted (about 5 minutes). Make sure chicken has reach 165 degrees F.
- Sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
KEEPING YOUR CHICKEN ROLL UP TOGETHER
I have only had a few chicken rolls ups fall apart on me over the years. They mostly stay together well enough to cook and enjoy. However, it can happen and with this chicken roll up including a coating, it is easy to add an extra step to make sure they stay together for you.
Use toothpicks as a temporary stitch to keep the roll together. Just puncture through the last of the chicken in your roll up and into the rest of the roll up. Remember to remove before sharing!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 554 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 137mg Sodium: 905mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Protein: 50g