Easy and delicious Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup!
This recipe for Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla soup is one of our most prepared recipes at home. I would even dare to say that it’s our favorite soup recipe. It takes me only about 10-15 minutes to throw everything into the crock pot and then, after quickly shredding the chicken, dinner is ready! It has a little bit of kick too, which we love in this house. This is definitely a winner. My proof? Making it for three very different groups – colleagues, my family, and our good friends – and having unilateral praise!
This is also one of my most viewed posts on this blog! Since it’s publication in April of 2013, it is always in my list of top viewed posts. I am so thankful for that and the wonderful things I have heard about this recipe. We love it so much, so I am glad you love it, too.
- 3 Skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 32 oz Chicken Broth
- 2 Cans of Rotel (I use original)
- 2 Cans of Black Beans (drained)
- 1 Can of Fresh Kernel Corn (drained)
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbsp Chili pepper
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- Suggested Toppings: Tortilla Chip Strips, Mexican Blend Cheese, Sour Cream
- Put the Rotel, drained black beans, and drained corn in the crock pot
- Chop the onion and add to the crock pot
- Add in the spice - I normally just shake the spices; I did measure the last time and a tablespoon is accurate. If you like more kick though, add in more chili pepper and cumin.
- Pour in the Chicken Broth (I use low sodium Swanson) and mix everything together.
- Place the cleaned chicken into the crock pot. Make sure most of the chicken is submerged in the other contents.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 6 hours. About 30 minutes before you eat, take out the chicken and shred. The chicken should just fall apart, so using two forks is an easy process. Put the shredded chicken back in the pot, stir, and let it cook for the rest of the time.
This recipes makes a large batch, which is perfect for having guests over for dinner or for making lots of leftovers which I love. I enjoy bowl after bowl for busy weeknight dinners or for my lunches. Plus, I like to toss in some extra chicken to cook with the soup and set aside when shredding. This chicken is great for leftover chicken recipes and thus another easy dinner idea!
ITEMS HELPFUL FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker With Temperature Probe, 6-Quart
- Hamilton Beach Travel Case & Carrier Insulated Bag
- Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners 2 Pack
- Pulled Pork Shredder Claws
GREAT SOUP AND SLOW COOKER COOK BOOKS:
- 50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker
- New England Soup Factory Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes
- Soup & Comfort: A Cookbook of Homemade Recipes to Warm the Soul
- Soup of the Day: 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year
- All-Time Best Soups
- 5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Cookbook: Quick and Easy 5 Ingredient Crock Pot Recipes
- Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes!
- The Meat Lover’s Slow Cooker Cookbook: Hearty, Easy Meals Cooked Low and Slow