Cinnamon brown sugar mashed sweet potatoes are my favorite mashed potatoes recipe! This sweet potato side dish is the perfect addition for your holiday menu! Plus, they’re easy, flavorful and easy to pair with main dishes all year long.
Easy Mashed Sweet Potatoes makes the perfect side dish recipe for family and holiday dinners!
I grew up in a family where dinner normally consisted of a meat, vegetable, and potato.
Even to this day, it’s what I consider a “traditional” meal. When I’m feeling stuck on what to make for dinner, it’s the combination I fall back on even though Bryan thinks it’s a little weird.
Bryan had never had sweet potatoes before me and he can tend to be a bit of a limited eater when it comes to veggies, but he’s thankfully a convert with this sweet potato recipe.
Now that we have two kids eating dinner with us, too, having a well rounded meal has become more important.
I’m super happy to report that he also likes a mashed sweet potato! It was actually one of the very first baby foods he ever had.
What’s funny is that sweet potatoes were always a special treat in the potato category in our house, probably because not everyone liked them. It was a big deal when mom picked up a couple to make alongside the regular baked potatoes.
It wasn’t until cooking on my own that I started experimenting with sweet potato recipes and fell in love with this easy mashed sweet potato recipe.
For me, this is easy to whip together for any dinner, especially because I think they are hard to mess up.
Tips on How to Make Mashed Sweet Potato:
- While skins make a good addition to regular mashed potatoes, you don’t want them with sweet potatoes. You’ll want to have a good peeler on hand!
- Cut the sweet potatoes into small, even pieces so they will cook quickly and evenly. Check with a fork for tenderness to know if they’re ready to be mashed.
- I mash my sweet potatoes with a hand masher and like the texture it gives, but I know many people really want smooth, whipped potatoes. In that case, you’ll want a reliable hand mixer or immersion blender.
You Might Also Enjoy These Other Side Dish Recipes:
- CREAMY GARLIC MUSHROOMS
- SWEET POTATO MASHED
- CREAMY ROSEMARY THYME POTATO AU GRATIN
- ROASTED BROWN SUGAR CARROTS
- GARLIC PARMESAN ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- CRANBERRY PEAR SPINACH RICE PILAF
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD WITH CRANBERRIES AND APPLES
Time to Whip Up a Batch of Cinnamon Brown Sugar Mashed Potatoes!
East Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and Cinnamon
The best Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe with Brown Sugar and Cinnamon! This sweet potato side dish recipe is easy, flavorful and lightly sweet, making it the perfect addition for your holiday table or dinner all year long!
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (large)
- 1/2 cup milk, (I use skim)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, (add more to taste)
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar, (add more to taste)
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut down into small, even pieces.
- Add cut potatoes to a large pot and fill with enough water to cover potatoes. Place potatoes on the stove and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat or a slow boil until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes. I use a strainer and then return the potatoes to the pot.
- Mash the potatoes with hand masher.
- Add milk, cinnamon, and brown sugar and combine well. Taste and see if you like them a little sweeter. Add more milk for thinner potatoes.
- If you want smoother, creamier potatoes use a hand mixer or immersion blender.
**Most people I know add a little butter into the mix. I personally don't feel like I am missing anything taste wise without butter but add if you would prefer. ***
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 servings (or more)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 93Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 38mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
JOIN OUR EMAIL COMMUNITY!
Join our Awesome Nerd Community for new content updates as well as our FLASH FREEBIES!
When you confirm your subscription, you will be taken to a confirmation page with a link to all the current flash freebies to download! Already subscribed but missed the flash freebie email? Simply confirm your subscription again for download access!
These pictures are great!