Cinnamon brown sugar mashed sweet potatoes are my favorite mashed potatoes recipe! This sweet potato side dish is the perfect addition for your holiday menu! Plus, they’re easy, flavorful and easy to pair with main dishes all year long.
Easy Mashed Sweet Potatoes makes the perfect side dish recipe for family and holiday dinners!
I grew up in a family where dinner normally consisted of a meat, vegetable, and potato. Even to this day, it’s what I consider a “traditional” meal. When I’m feeling stuck on what to make for dinner, it’s the combination I fall back on even though Bryan thinks it’s a little weird. Bryan had never had sweet potatoes before me, but he’s thankfully a convert.
Now that we have Liam eating dinner with us, too, having a well rounded meal has become more important and I’m super happy to report that he also likes a mashed sweet potato! It was actually one of the very first baby foods he ever had.
Sweet potatoes were always a special treat in the potato category in our house, probably because not everyone liked them. Therefore, we only had whole sweet potatoes that could be baked alongside the other potatoes. It wasn’t until cooking on my own that I started experimenting with sweet potato recipes and fell in love with this easy mashed sweet potato recipe. For me, this is easy to whip together for any dinner, especially because I think they are hard to mess up.
Tips on How to Make Mashed Sweet Potato:
- While skins make a good addition to regular mashed potatoes, you don’t want them with sweet potatoes. You’ll want to have a good peeler on hand!
- Cut the sweet potatoes into small, even pieces so they will cook quickly and evenly. Check with a fork for tenderness to know if they’re ready to be mashed.
- I mash my sweet potatoes with a hand masher and like the texture it gives, but I know many people really want smooth, whipped potatoes. In that case, you’ll want a reliable hand mixer or immersion blender.
You Might Also Enjoy These Other Side Dish Recipes:
- Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
- Roasted Brown Sugar Carrots
- Cranberry Pear Spinach Rice Pilaf
- Creamed Corn Au Gratin
- Christmas Green Beans with Toasted Pecans
Time to Whip Up a Batch of Cinnamon Brown Sugar Mashed Potatoes!
The best Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe with Brown Sugar and Cinnamon! This sweet potato side dish recipe is easy, flavorful and lightly sweet, making it the perfect addition for your holiday table or dinner all year long!
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (large)
- 1/2 cup milk (I use skim)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (add more to taste)
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar (add more to taste)
Peel the sweet potatoes and cut down into small, even pieces.
Add cut potatoes to a large pot and fill with enough water to cover potatoes. Place potatoes on the stove and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat or a slow boil until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
Drain the potatoes. I use a strainer and then return the potatoes to the pot.
Mash the potatoes with hand masher.
Add milk, cinnamon, and brown sugar and combine well. Taste and see if you like them a little sweeter. Add more milk for thinner potatoes.
If you want smoother, creamier potatoes use a hand mixer or immersion blender.
**Most people I know add a little butter into the mix. I personally don't feel like I am missing anything taste wise without butter but add if you would prefer. ***