Make a classic Moscow Mule with only three ingredients for the perfect summer cocktail that is sweet, tangy, and just a little bit spicy! It’s so easy to make this classic cocktail!
THE BEST MOSCOW MULE RECIPE
Moscow mules are hands down my favorite cocktail over the last few years. They have the perfect balance between sweet and spicy with a refreshing citrus flavor.
I love homemade Moscow mules the most though! Here’s why:
- DIET GINGER BEER – I always use Diet Ginger Beer at home. It still has all the flavor without the sugar, which also means my stomach feels better without the unnecessary sugar.
- EXTRA LIME JUICE – I like adding in a little extra lime juice when I make them at home. I’m a big lime fan!
- LESS EXPENSIVE – I can’t not include this one on the list!
In fact, I love them so much that non alcoholic Moscow mules were also my favorite while pregnant. I drank them because I really do love the flavor of ginger beer.
I’m also convinced that the ginger beer helped my pregnancy sickness. It is ginger after all!
HOW TO MAKE A CLASSIC MOSCOW MULE:
With only 3 ingredients and no special bar techniques required, making a Moscow mule is super easy! Here’s what you need to do:
- Fill your copper mug or other glass with ice. While crushed ice is traditional for a Moscow mule, I use our normal ice cubes made in our old freezer.
- Add vodka. I always use my jigger to measure my vodka.
- Squeeze in lime juice. Squeeze is the important word here. Do NOT use a bottle of lime juice whenever possible. Use a real lime and toss the remaining in your glass as a garnish.
- Add ginger beer. Fill the remainder of your mug with your ginger beer of choice.
- Stir and ENJOY! Give your Moscow Mule drink a quick stir, and then serve!
That’s it! It’s basically a quick pour and enjoy recipe minus the cutting and squeezing of the lime.
However, looking for more tips and tricks?! Check out my post on HOW TO MAKE A MOSCOW MULE with everything you need to know, including a TON of Moscow mule recipes to try!
WHAT GINGER BEER SHOULD I USE?
Which ginger beer you should use is going to depend on personal tastes and preferences. My suggestion is always to complete a flight taste test for fun!
I can tell you my two favorites though:
- GOSLING’S DIET GINGER BEER: It has almost 50 grams less of sugar than their original and almost 200 less calories.
- FEVER-TREE GINGER BEER: This is also a flavorful ginger beer that I love when I can find it. It’s easy to order on Amazon though.
HELP ITEMS FOR MAKING MOSCOW MULES:
Making Moscow mules doesn’t require a lot of special tools which is another reason I love making homemade Moscow mules!
Other than the copper mugs if you want to be authentic to the classic recipe, I suggest just having a basic bar set. I always use a jigger to measure my vodka and a stirrer to – well – stir my drink.
Plus I get a lot of use out of my muddler for some of my special flavor Moscow mule recipes.
Lastly, if you don’t have room to keep your vodka chilled or your ginger beer chilled, then I suggest using a cocktail shaker with ice before pouring your ingredients over new ice in the cup. It will make your drink truly chilled!
You can see all my suggestions below!
HAND HAMMERED 100% COPPER MUGS: This is probably my favorite set because in addition to coming with 4 hand hammered copper mugs, it also includes matching straws and shot glass! They are strong, sturdy and beautiful! Plus it comes with a limited edition brass handle!
3 PIECE BAR SET: If you are going to make simple cocktails, this is my favorite bar set. It has a jigger, a muddler, and a trident cocktail stirrer. This last one means it has a mini “spoon” shape on one end like a traditional stirrer and a forked shape on the other.
LARGE BAR SET: If you are going to be getting into more sophisticated cocktail recipes, including anything that needs to be shaken or strained, than I suggest upgrading to the full bar set. I love having everything on hand. You never know when you want to try something new!
YOU MIGHT ENJOY THESE OTHER MOSCOW MULE RECIPES:
- CLASSIC MOSCOW MULE RECIPE
- FROZEN MOSCOW MULE SLUSHIES
- RASPBERRY MOSCOW MULE
- PEACH MOSCOW MULE
- PINEAPPLE MOSCOW MULE
- MINT WATERMELON MOSCOW MULE
- CRANBERRY TANGERINE LEMONADE MOSCOW MULE
Make sure to follow me on Instagram and tag @lovenerdmaggie or #thelovenerds so I can see all the wonderful recipes, crafts or more that YOU make from my site! I want to see it all!!
You can also subscribe to our newsletter to make sure you never miss a post!
TIME TO MAKE THE REFRESHING CLASSIC MOSCOW MULE!
- 1.5 ounces vodka (1 large jigger)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (about a quarter of or half a lime)
- 4 ounces Diet Ginger Beer
- Fill your copper mug or glass in a similar size with ice.
- Add your vodka.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice into mug and toss the lime remnant into mug if you want.
- Top off your mug with ginger beer; about 4 ounces.
- Gently swirl it with stirrer and enjoy!
WHAT MAKES A GOOD MOSCOW MULE GARNISH?
Use your squeezed lime juice half to garnish your Moscow mule or add lime slices. You can also garnish with a fresh mint sprig!
- 3 PIECE BAR MUDDLER SET
- Gosling's Diet Ginger Beer
- Absolut Vodka
- Moscow Mule Mugs Gift Set for 4 with 4 Straws and 1 Shot Glass
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 163 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 10mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 16g Protein: 0g